Annual Surfacing Maintenance
Routine and CPSI-led playground surfacing maintenance
Reliable Playground Surfacing Maintenance Without the Yearly Stress
Since playgrounds experience high traffic use and harsh weather conditions, the surfacing will naturally encounter a lot of wear and tear. Regular playground surfacing maintenance is necessary to maintain the safety, appearance, and compliance of your playground. While schools, parks, and other facilities understand the importance of upkeeping their playground, without the in-house team or available resources it can become an increasing burden to keep up with the maintenance. Without regular surfacing assessment and necessary updates, it will cause more expensive repairs or replacements down the road and possible liability issues.
Our playground surfacing maintenance services prioritize the safety of the children along with your needs and budgets. To do so, we offer rotating surfacing maintenance services to ensure compliance every year.
- Rake the existing surfacing to level the playground and move the safety mats to the correct locations
- Top-off the playground with additional Nature’sPlus engineered wood fiber to comply with safety depth requirements, rake and level the surfacing, and add, replace, or move safety mats
If you don’t know what other maintenance updates your playground needs, we offer annual assessments of your playground needs that are complementary during these routine visits.
If your playground requires more frequent maintenance, we offer bi-annual and quarterly surfacing maintenance plans to meet your needs. We typically conduct our maintenance assessment in Spring. Contact us to learn more!
When is it time to start an annual surfacing maintenance plan?
As playgrounds age, the surfacing will start showing signs that maintenance is needed to maintain its value and aesthetic. Below are some common surfacing occurrences that can be resolved with regular maintenance.
- Does your playground receive a lot of traffic?
- Is there surfacing displacement under events?
- Is there surface mounding in certain areas?
- Are there weeds growing in the surfacing?
- Are there signs of mold in wood chips or decomposition?
- Is there water pooling?
Benefits of Annual Surfacing Maintenance
Surfacing is a critical component of all playgrounds. A maintenance plan provides the expertise and capabilities to upkeep its intended performance and appearance. At SafetyFirst, our flexible and reliable services provide clients with multiple benefits, including the following.
- Removes the stress from your maintenance team to inspect the playground and source surfacing or replacement materials
- Implements a dependable annual maintenance check for organizations without in-house maintenance staff
- Upholds compliance with playground surfacing standards
- Retains standards as an ADA compliant playground surface
- Preserves the appearance and appeal of the playground
Our Annual Surfacing Maintenance Process
With years of experience as a playground repair company, we follow a strategic process that improves efficiencies and ensures long-term, reliable results. We promptly evaluate, recommend, and install playground surfacing repairs without unnecessary interruptions and client time commitment.
- Assess the depth of the surfacing in comparison to playground depth requirements
- Determine the level of maintenance required based on depth, appearance, and ADA accessibility
- Does it only need to be raked and leveled?
- Does it need to be topped off with additional surfacing?
- Recommendation 1: Rake and level the existing surfacing to fill in displacements or even out mounds and move safety mats to the appropriate locations
- Recommendation 2: Top-off with Nature’sPlus, rake and level entire site, and move or replace safety mats
- Clean up the surrounding area
Our annual surfacing maintenance services are overseen by a Certified Playground Safety Inspector (CPSI) to ensure safety compliance.
The Material We Use for Our Surfacing Maintenance
At SafetyFirst, we use Nature’sPlus surfacing, our engineered wood fiber (EWF), for our annual playground surfacing maintenance services. To reduce expensive or repetitive maintenance every year, it’s critical to use a material that can withstand harsh weather conditions and high traffic. Benefits of using Nature’sPlus for surfacing maintenance include:
- Made from locally sourced, Tamarack trees which are naturally resistant to mold and decay
- Produced using a meticulous manufacturing process removing all twigs, leaves, dirt, etc. so only the live stem wood is used which removes the risk of early decomposition or cross-contamination
- Passes ASTM 1292 for Attenuation to meet playground safety standards
- Passes ASTM 1951 for ADA Accessibility as a compliant ADA playground surface
What People Are Saying About Us
I have been using SafetyFirst surfacing material in my district’s playgrounds for several years now. We have been very impressed with the quality and impact attenuation of this product. I would highly recommend it for any organization looking for a quality, long lasting product for their playground surfacing needs.
Facilities and Safety Coordinator
Eden Prairie Schools, ISD 272
In my nearly 30 years of facility management, SafetyFirst is the finest playground service company I have worked with, Bob Clarin, president of SafetyFirst was always available and was on site daily. From the simplest repair, a missing bolt to a complete rebuild including drainage and play structure relocation, SafetyFirst completed the work well and on time.
Supervisor of Buildings & Grounds
Roseville Schools, ISD 623
I would like to express my satisfaction with the wood chips and mats that we have purchased from SafetyFirst. The chips bind together well to make a nice playground surface with the fall protection we need. Bob has always had the materials delivered on a timely basis and is very pleasant to work with. I am sure we will be doing more business Bob and SafetyFirst in the future.
Parks and Forestry Superintendent
City of Brookings, SD